Philpott Assistant Instructor
Certified tennis instructors required to teach a summer tennis program to children enrolled in the Doug Philpott Inner City Tennis Fund program, June 30th to August 15th, Monday to Friday, 8:45AM to 1:15 PM.
Contact Sharon Arnold, Program Director (416) 266-4394
Send your resume to: [email protected]
The Assistant Instructor’s primary responsibility is to assist with design and execution of a first class summer tennis program at their designated site in a professional, courteous and enthusiastic manner. As such, the Assistant Instructor has an impact on the development of Ontario youth, and the reputation of the Philpott Children’s Tennis program through the spirit and image of the sport of tennis.
He/she is expected to participate in the organization and preparation of lessons for each day of instruction.
The Philpott organization will try to meet your request regarding site location but reserves the right to move a Head Instructor as required to meet the needs of the total summer program.
- Attend pre-season orientation meetings (one evening and one day prior to camp commencement), Week One on-court training session and post-season wrap up meeting (dates to be determined)
- Establish regular, effective communications with on-site Parks & Recreation representative and be aware of local health, safety and emergency procedures
- Arrive at 8:45 am each morning to set up and take attendance
- In case of rain or threatening rain, never leave the site unless specifically given permission to do so by the Summer Supervisor or Supervisor
- Provide accurate attendance, incident and equipment inventory reports
- Store equipment and first aid kits securely
- Report concerns/problems immediately to Head Instructor, Summer Supervisor or Assistant Supervisor
Management & Leadership
- Assist the Head Instructor with the planning and execution of the Philpott Lesson Plan for the duration of the camp
- Take initiatives to encourage registrations if courts are not full (bring a friend, approach local organizations (camps/daycares), consult with recreationist)
- Assist the Head Instructor with the training and supervision of volunteers
- Wear shirts provided by Philpott when instructing
- When appropriate, speak with parents and prospective students
Instruction and Coaching
- Assist the Head Instructor with the Lesson Plan and execute each day’s lessons with suitable progressions and drills to meet the needs of the children and the group.
- Make appropriate use of the equipment provided and the skills of the volunteers to optimize the experience and learning of children.
- Ensure that a safe environment is maintained at the court site (i.e. not playing on wet courts)
- Report safety problems immediately to local Parks & Recreation representative and to the Head Instructor and the Summer Program Supervisor/ Assistant
Job Specification / Qualifications Required
- Level 1 OTA Coaching Certificate
- Volunteer or coaching experience in sport
- Clean police reference check (provided by applicant upon job offer – please visit www.torontopolice.on.ca/recordsmanagement/clearance.php)
- Signed a Philpott Risk Management Form
- First aid training desired
- Fluent in English, both oral and written
- Strong leadership, communication, interpersonal and administrative skills
- Neat appearance, willingness to conform to Philpott dress standards that includes tennis specific court shoes, Philpott shirts, and appropriate tennis shorts/warm up suits.